Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Pork & Ginger Congee (Chao Thit va Gung)

Tonight, my hubbie craved for congee. I didn't have time to go grocery shopping since I had so much errands today so I prep what I had at home first and my sister helped by grocery shopping for the things I needed.

Ingredients
1lb ground pork
4 cans chicken broth
4 cups water
half a lemon
1.5 cup rice
bunch of cilantro (chopped .5 in)
1 tbsp blk pepper
1 ginger (slice in long thin pieces)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1tbspn fish sauce
.5 tspn salt
3 green onions (finely chopped)


 
 
First, stir fry the raw rice until golden brown (without oil) in a pan. Then, fill a pot with chicken broth and water. Add in the rice. Leave heat on medium to high. Make sure to every once in a while stir so that the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pot. Marinate ground pork with garlic, salt, and a little bit of pepper. Add into the pot of rice soup along with ginger. Squeeze a little bit of lemon juice in. Then, put some fish sauce in with black pepper. Adjust according to taste. When rice seems to soften as wanted for congee, add in some green onions and cilantro.
 





2 comments:

  1. You're so talented! I just made this for the first time today using only your recipe, and even my husband (who has a pretty sophisticated Vietnamese palette) was impressed! Thank you so much! The only issue I had (because I didn't know any better) was that I cooked it for too long, and it became too thick as it settled down. I easily fixed it by adding more water (and more fish sauce and seasoning to balance it out). :) Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete