Ca Kho To (Vietnamese Caramelized Catfish)
I've been sick these past couple of days so I stopped cooking since Tuesday. Yesterday, I managed to go grocery shopping for ingredients to make my "Ca Kho" and my mom helped me last night to cook for the family. Here is the recipe my mother taught me:
- Catfish - 4 to 5 one inch pieces
- Fish sauce - 4 tbsp
- Green Onions minced - 5
- Black pepper - 1 tspn
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Caramel sauce - 3 tbsp
- Red peppers minced - 2 to 3
- Water (2/3 cup)
- Sugar - 1 tbsp
- Turn your heat on from med to high. Put the oil in and wait till it's hot. Then, add in the green onions, black pepper, fish sauce, and water.
- Now, put the fish in (Do not flip over the fish). Add the caramel sauce. Just use a spoon to scoop the sauce and drizzle over the fish when needed to marinade the fish.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the liquid is reduced to a fairly thick syrup.
- Adjust seasoning to taste according to your preference with fish sauce and sugar.