Friday, February 1, 2013

Braised Pork With Eggs (Thit Kho Va Trung)

Today my hubbie texted me and asked if I can cook "Braised Pork With Eggs". I said, "Sure I'll try". So he taught me on the phone some basic guidelines on how to prepare for this...And I took notes of what measurements I actually used...

Ingredients
6 lbs of pork legs with fat
3 tbsp garlic, minced
3 tbsp white onions, minced
1.5 tspn salt
1.5 tspn black pepper
6 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp cooking oil
1/2 cup fish sauce
4 cans of cocunut juice (ex. Rico brand)
3 cups of water
14 hard boiled eggs
1 tbsp caramel sauce

Directions
Heat up high a big pot of water. Rinse the pork meat and put into pot to boil so where it's cooked a little bit. Take it out, rinse it again, and let it drain and cool down. This way, it makes it easier for you to cut it. Cut the pork meat into 1.5 in cubes. Marinate with the minced garlic, minced onions, salt, and pepper and leave it aside for 30 min. Boil eggs while waiting...

In another large pot over medium heat, add cooking oil and sprinkle the sugar in. The sugar will melt and turn into a caramel color. Add the marinated pork with caramel sauce for more coloring, stir around, and then pour the coconut juice and water in. The amount should cover over the pork. Add in the eggs (peeled and without shells). Add in fish sauce and adjust to your taste. Skim off the scum and leave it simmering covered for 3 hours or more if desired for tenderness. The longer the simmer, the sauce will become saltier.


Can you believe I have never boiled eggs before? I remembered hearing from my hubbie that in order to know when your eggs are cooked is when you can hold them up with chopsticks. I tried that today for the first time and it worked! So Cool!

 
This is a picture of how the pork is cut up and marinated with salt, pepper, garlic, and onions. My mom's technique of boiling it beforehand really is easier for me when it comes to cutting the pieces.
 

Da Da Da Dahhhh....This is how my "Braised Pork With Eggs" finally looked like....What do you think? FYI - Asian New Year is coming up next week. We normally cook this for every new year as a tradition and serve this with either cucumber, pickled cabbage, cauliflower, or other pickles.

I hope you enjoyed reading and seeing my FIRST post!

:)
 





No comments:

Post a Comment