Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Soup Man Cua (Vietnamese Asparagus and Crab Soup)


Soup Man Cua (Vietnamese Asparagus and Crab Soup)
This is one of my favorite soups I like to eat at weddings and Vietnamese parties (birthdays or holidays). I learned this recipe from my mom. Now, I can be able to cook this for my children’s birthday parties. J
Ingredients:
4 cartons of chicken broth 32 oz each
Green onions, minced
Garlic, minced
4 big cans of white peeled asparagus (slice diagonally)
2 small cans of white thin mushrooms
4 small cans of quail eggs
2 tbspn fish sauce
White pepper
Cilantro, finely chopped
1 container of fresh lump crab meat
2 eggs
2 tbsp cornstarch
Water
Oil

Instructions
Boil with med to high heat a big pot of chicken broth. While broth is cooking, stir fry crab meat with a little bit of oil and garlic for 1 min (My mom told me it’s a method of getting rid of the fishy smell in the soup).
When broth is boiled, add in the eggs, mushrooms, asparagus, and crab meat. Lower the heat down to low to med.
Crack the 2 eggs and put it in a separate bowl. Stir until smooth. Then, add into the pot of soup and stir evenly.
With another bowl, add the cornstarch and some water in and stir evenly. Then, add to the pot of soup. Adjust according to thickness however you prefer.

Then add in the fish sauce, white pepper, and cilantro. Also, adjust according to taste. I have a family of 7 people to feed. Each adult has their own distinct taste. It is very hard to please everyone. Anytime I finish a dish, the opinions are either “a little salty, a little flavorless, or just right”. Serve with green onions and cilantro if you desire.

Enjoy!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment